Help Empower Maine Girls to Realize their DREAMS!
Girls on the Run-ME is a volunteer-based organization. Without the amazing people who have given their time, we wouldn’t be able to provide this program to the girls of Maine. Together, we can help young girls actualize their dreams by teaching them that they are STRONG and CAPABLE!
There are numerous ways to get involved. Whether you want to work directly with girls, help build the organization’s infrastructure, offer professional skills, or run for a few hours on a weekend as a “running buddy”, we need YOU! Plus, most people find that they receive back far more than they give … and, more importantly, we promise you will have FUN!
- Head Coaching/Assistant Coaching – After completing a background check and attending a mandatory training, coaches deliver the curriculum twice per week for the duration of the 10-12-week program. Training is held approximately one month before the start of the school semester. Maintaining a positive attitude and fostering a supportive environment for the girls is CRITICAL! Head coaches must be CPR and First Aid certified. Coaches must be available on a regular basis from 3:00pm-5:30pm weekdays, as the sessions start at approximately 3:30pm. Men are welcome as assistant coaches! If you are interested in inquiring about a coaching position, please fill out our coaching inquiry form.
- Running Buddies – Running buddies are parents, family members, guardians or friends who complete the end of the season 5K race with a girl in our program. Your only commitment is to be available on race day.
- 5k Event Volunteer – Sign up to be a volunteer! Each year we will be hosting a fall and spring celebratory 5k for the girls in our program and we need a lot of volunteers for these events.
- Committee Work – Our Board Committees do much of the behind the scenes work! Consider joining our: Events, 5k, Grants, or Fundraising Committees.
- Site Liaison – A site liaison serves as a link between GOTR-ME and the program site. The liaison helps with the registration process, identifying potential coaches, transporting supplies to the site, reserving practice space and more. To help bring GOTR to your community, please review our Site Liaison Job Description and fill out our New Site Application. All new Spring 2014 Site Liaisons must attend a training on January 15 at 6:30 pm at our Portland Office.
- SoleMates: Charity Running Team – SoleMates is the charity running team for GOTR-ME. You can join as an individual or as a team to pursue personal goals such as running a marathon or completing a triathlon while raising money to support our GOTR-ME participants. Participants of SoleMates pay a non-refundable registration fee of $26. For more information, please go to our “SoleMates” tab.
- Administrative and Logistical Support – GOTR-ME is looking for a few people to provide some administrative and/or IT support to our staff.
If one of these areas, or another area, interests you, please fill out our inquiry form and tell us about yourself!